The Incoterms workshop was held at Breakbulk Americas 2023 which is now over, register your interest for Breakbulk Americas 2024.
September 26, 2023 • 9:00 - 4:30 • 2 coffee breaks and lunch provided
This full-day workshop, presented by retired Halliburton global logistics vice president John Vogt, will cover the use of Incoterms® rules for profitability while avoiding the perils and pitfalls of misuse – a common occurrence in today's complex shipping environment.
The Incoterms® rules define the roles and responsibilities of the buyers’ and sellers’ logistics organization to efficiently and effectively move goods from the seller to the buyer. The understanding of the rules, how to use them and when to use them, as well as the perils and pitfalls will be discussed. The workshop is aimed at all levels from basic to advanced users of the Incoterms® rules.
The workshop will cover:
- History of rules and how these affect trade today.
- Each of the rules with particular focus on when they should be used and how they should be used
- The perils and pitfalls of the rules and when they should Not be used
- Aspects of rules that need additional clarification in the contracts of purchase and supply
- Use and misuse of Incoterms® rules in standard contracts
- Benefits of the strategic use of the Incoterms® rules for a company
Who should attend this course:
- Sales, marketing, procurement and logistics personnel who are involved in setting contracts
- All logistics personnel as they must perform the obligations of the rule chosen
- Legal functions who set contracts with supply and delivery
- Freight forwarders and other parties offering advice to clients on logistics aspects
To register for this workshop:
When you register for your three-day pass to Breakbulk Americas, you will be able to select this workshop as an add-on. If you have already registered, you can visit the Registration Resource Center (link in your confirmation email) and add the workshop to your package.
Meet the Instructor
John Vogt is a retired Halliburton Global Logistics VP, Professor at the University of Houston Downtown and former board director. He has published multiple research papers on trade and Incoterms® rules, and articles in trade journals on these topics as well as a series in Breakbulk Magazine. He holds a Ph.D. (Logistics), MBA and B.Sc(Engineering), the prestigious European Engineer Title and is a Fellow of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (UK)
Recent articles by John on breakbulk.com:
Strategic Decision Making in Logistics: Incoterms Rules
Free Trade Agreements: What You Need to Know
9:00 am -10:30 am
- History of the Incoterms® rules and the effect these have on the understanding and use today.
- Look at the 2020 version rules in overview and how they are structured.
- Introduce 2 or 3 case studies and see what the audience thinks the solution might be and why.
- Start to explore each rule and its good points as well as problems in practical use.
10:30 am – 11:00 am
Networking Coffee Break
11:00 am – 12:30 pm
- Complete the review of each rule and its good points as well as problems in practical use.
- Look at the risks and costs.
- Briefly explore the influence of Incoterms on trade and what needs to be considered. Some of this will come from a survey / submission from the participants.
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
1:30 pm – 2:45 pm
- Review of some of the survey data and issues participants have raised.
- Discuss what might drive the strategic choice of an Incoterms® rule.
- Why should a company have set Incoterms® or choose a rule for each different trade?
- What is the implication for a fixed choice of a single rule or two rules for a company?
2:45 pm – 3:15 pm
Networking Coffee Break
3:15 pm – 4:30 pm
- Review the case studies and the solutions worked through by the participants with some comments on what has changed from the morning.
- Q&A from participants'
- Wrap up
This workshop is an add-on to the three-day exhibition and conference pass.
Advance price: $450
Onsite price: $500
Breakbulk Global Shipper Network members receive 50% off the price as part of their BGSN membership.